Practical issues can sometimes complicate your ability to receive medical care. Concerns such as transportation to your appointments, assistance applying for disability insurance, and questions about your legal rights might be factors in your care. At Rio Grande Cancer Specialists, you’re never alone in sorting through them. The financial counselors will help find foundations that can assist with high copays and other supports. Here are resources that can help you.
Patient Resources Coordinator
Our Patient Resources Coordinator focuses on providing patients and families with practical resources such as financial assistance, transportation to your appointments, healthcare referrals, support groups, childcare, and more, so that you can focus on getting treatment.
Bell Ringer Society
Texas American Cancer Society
The Rio Grande Cancer Foundation
Directory of Cancer Services
ASA Foundation Family Care Resource Connection
Provides private online support groups for caregivers or patients, led by oncology social workers at no charge.
Cancer Support Community
Offers emotional and educational support and hope for people affected by cancer, at no charge.
Is where you can start a free personal website to share important information quickly with family and friends during a health journey.
The site is easy to use and you have complete control over the privacy settings, so your site is as private or public as you want it to be. Family and friends can stay informed without overwhelming you. Plus, they can post messages and photos straight to your site. Your site also helps you coordinate care and organize daily tasks. As a nonprofit, CaringBridge sites are free and ad-free for those who need it, whenever they need it.
Symptom Management Support
Our providers know that cancer is complicated and affects the whole body. We look at all aspects of your symptoms and help to identify the right course of action for you.
Patient navigators provide personalized support for patients and their families, acting as liaisons between you and your health-care team. From the first diagnostic test through post-treatment care, navigators serve as a single point of contact to answer any questions and to help navigate the complex health-care system. Additionally, navigators provide specialized assistance to patients at risk of experiencing socio-economic, cultural and language barriers to care.
We provide the following services and support:
- Orient patients and families to Rio Grande Cancer Specialists
- Connect patients and families to resources such as transportation and lodging.
- Provide emotional support and connect patients with clinical social workers and support groups.
- Coordinate multiple medical appointments, including physician visits, lab tests and imaging tests.
- Connect patients and families with interpreter services.
- Act as patient advocates and communicate patients’ wishes to their health-care team.
- Attend physician visits with patients to ensure they understand the information shared.
- Facilitate access to financial aid and assist with insurance paperwork.
- Help patients and families access health education resources to inform decision-making about treatment options and managing side effects.
- Help patients and families access information about clinical trials.
- Transportation to your appointments